Monday, July 14, 2008

In Pursuit of Christian Disciplines

I've done additional research into Christian Disciplines. I will preface my remarks by explaining that this is but step one in a much greater effort. In short, I am pursuing as complete a knowledge of the disciplines that Christians are expected or encouraged to participate in.

I'm not doing this so that I may learn how to be a mechanical Christian. Rather, I am seeking to use the most qualified methods to work toward spiritual growth, specifically in the Christian context. My expectation is to identify a comprehensive list of disciplines, study each one to understand their purpose and then move forward on applying said disciplines to my own life. My ultimate goal is to improve my relationship with and understanding of God AND serve as an exemplary Christian in the most sincere sense of the word. With that said, we move on.

My additional research into the matter has resulted in additional disciplines being identified. I already sense there is some heirarchy to these; there may also be duplicity until that heirarchy is fully described. In a previous post, I discussed 12 Christian Disciplines that I uncovered as listed in a book by Donald S. Whitney. In the following list (and expanded version with additions), I include these 12 and indicate them with an asterisk.

*Scripture Reading
*Prayer
*Worship
*Scripture Meditation
*Evangelism
*Serving
*Stewardship
*Scripture Application
*Silence & Solitude
*Journaling
*Learning
Marriage
Fatherhood
Friendship
Mind
Devotion
Listening
Confession
Reverence
Submission
Integrity
Work
Perseverence
Leadership
Giving
Witness
Ministry
Frugality / Simple Living
Chastity
Sacrifice
Celebration
Fellowship
Spiritual Mentoring

As it stands, the list contains 33 disciplines. However, two things strike me about this list. First, there is clearly some duplicity, at least in terms of the "spirit" or intention of some of these disciplines. For instance, surely Frugality is a sub-set of Stewardship? Perhaps not. Second, it seems to me some of these things are disciplines in the strict sense of the word (which is what I'm seeking); that is to say, some of these items are desired characteristics rather than actual practices.

I will refrain from combining, eliminating duplicity or other tactics to hone the list until I have adequately explored each one. I would be upset if I accidentally (out of ignorance) combined two things that were actually very distinct and necessarily so.

No comments: