Thursday, July 10, 2008

McCain Is Losing Me

I'll say up front that I've like Sen. John McCain for a long time, probably close to ten years. Sure, he had his quirks but I found him to be straight-talking, genuine and with enough integrity to go for what he believes instead of drawing the party line. He had my respect.

I'm losing it quickly. I start with his two "jokes" about "bombing" or "killing" Iranians. Please tell me he's kidding. Far earlier in the election, he also said he didn't know as much about the economy as he probably should. Oh really? Exactly what I want to hear while our economy is taking the hardest punch in decades.

Add to that one of his top economic advisors, Phil Gramm, recently stated that Americans are "whiners" and implied the economic recession was in our heads (calling it a "mental recession"). Gramm even reiterated the latter statement when given a chance to explain, saying, "We don’t have measured negative growth. That’s a fact, that’s not a commentary." This is just plain, irresponsible foolishness.

I've already been leaning toward Obama (leaning, not flying into his arms just yet) and if the vote was today, he would get my vote. Yes, he has some issues of his own, but nothing like the McCain gaffes. Today's America has an economy in sincere crisis and a foreign policy so debilitated that it has put our nation in great danger - and McCain is failing me on both critical points.

No comments: